Android smartphones offer several ways to customize the devices according to user’s requirements. The customization options include TWRP, custom ROM flashing, GSI images and more. If you are a tech enthusiast and want to explore the full potential of your device, you can root your device as well. However, all the customizations are associated with risks that you should also keep in mind while doing so.
In most cases, the device gets into the soft-bricked mode when you root the device. In this scenario, you can boot your device into fastboot mode and flash the stock firmware to do the customizations. However, if your device enters the hard-bricked mode anyhow, you can do nothing with your device as, in this situation, your device will not even boot to the bootloader or the fastboot mode. In that case, you cannot do anything with your device.
Fortunately, if your device comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset, you still have some hope. All the Qualcomm devices, including some Xiaomi devices, come with an EDL or emergency download mode. You can use this mode to flash the stock firmware files on your device. It is an important mode for Android users, especially users who love to tweak their smartphones according to their preferences. In this guide, we will discuss more about EDL mode on Qualcomm devices and the methods to enter EDL mode on any Xiaomi smartphone Qualcomm.
Before proceeding with this guide, let’s answer the question, what is EDL mode?
What is EDL Mode?
The EDL mode or Emergency Download mode is a special mode for Android devices that come with an underlying Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. It comes with a specific set of rules known as the firehouse or Sahara protocol. This mode is used to force flash stock firmware. The best part of this mode is that it is not dependent on the bootloader or the fastboot mode of the Android smartphone. So, if your device cannot access the bootloader or the fastboot mode, even if your device is hard-bricked, the EDL mode will work. This mode resides in the primary boot loader interface and it is a completely independent mode that you can use in unfavorable situations.
Qualcomm devices come with a primary bootloader that triggers the secondary one. The secondary bootloader comes with some important file configurations and partitions such as ABOOT, Linux Kernel, and system.img. It also comes with the Trustzone, which ensures the authenticity of Android bootloaders. When Android users unlock the bootloader, they disable the authenticity check.
Everything after the primary bootloader comes with the secondary one. This is the bootloader that gets affected by incorrect software modifications. So, if you anyhow make some incorrect software modifications, the secondary bootloader will get affected, not the primary one. This is why the EDL mode doesn’t get affected, as it resides in the primary bootloader itself. It allows users to easily boot the Qualcomm device into EDL mode and force flash the firmware.
When you boot your device into EDL mode, you must keep two things in mind, the steps of booting your device to the fastboot mode and the flashing instructions. Though you can use ADB fastboot commands for the first one, it will not work in every situation, especially when your device is already bricked. Also, if your device is hard-bricked, you cannot even boot your phone to the fastboot mode.
If you are using a Xiaomi device with a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset, you will have an escape route. When you connect your device while in EDL mode to your computer, your device will be recognized as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008. Xiaomi manufacturers also have a specific set of tools just for flashing. The list includes tools such as QPST, QFIL, MSMDownload, etc. So, you can easily connect your device to EDL, launch the tool, and flash the firmware file on your device.
When to use EDL Mode?
If you mistakenly flash incorrect software or have done anything to your device, your device will not function normally. Though some devices get soft-bricked, others can also get hard-bricked. If your device gets hard-bricked, it will refuse to enter fastboot mode. In that case, you will have no other option than booting your phone in EDL mode. You can force flash the firmware only in this mode.
5 Methods To enter EDL mode on any Xiaomi smartphone Qualcomm
Here we have mentioned 5 methods to enter EDL mode on any Xiaomi smartphone Qualcomm. Before discussing the methods, here are the pre-requirements to perform the job properly.
- These methods will only work with devices equipped with Qualcomm SoC. So, make sure that your Xiaomi smartphone has a Qualcomm chipset installed.
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- You need a PC or laptop and a USB cable for this purpose
- Install Android USB drivers on your computer
- Make sure to install ADB and fastboot tools on your computer
Enter EDL Mode via ADB Commands
You can enter EDL mode on your Xiaomi smartphone using ADB commands. ADB stands for Android debug bridge which is used for several purposes. Make sure that your USB debugging is enabled before trying this method. Now, follow the steps mentioned below to enter EDL mode.
- Connect your smartphone to the computer using the USB cable
- Now, tap on the OK button and allow USB debugging on the phone
- Head to the installed ADB folder on your computer and press and hold the shift button+ right click.
- Select the ‘Open command window here’ option and then type the following command
adb reboot edl
- Hit enter
- Now, your device will enter EDL mode. Also, your phone screen will dim at this point.
- Next, go to the Device manager option on your computer and click on Ports.
- If your device is working properly, it will detect the Qualcomm HS USB Qdloader 9008. Now, you can flash the firmware on your device using MI flash tool.
Use Fastboot to Boot EDL mode on any smartphones
You can enter EDL mode on your smartphone using the fastboot mode as well. Follow the steps below to do so:-
- First, switch off your device and go to the fastboot mode by pressing and holding the power+ volume down button altogether for a few seconds
- Keep pressing both buttons until you see the MI logo or the Rabbit logo appearing on your screen
- Now, connect the device to your computer
- Next, use the ADB and fastboot tool to write commands, as mentioned in the previous method
- Type the following command
fastboot oem edl
fastboot reboot edl
- Hit enter and you will enter EDL mode
Use Hardware Buttons
You can use hardware buttons as well for this purpose. Follow the steps mentioned below for that:-
- First, turn off your device completely
- Now, press and hold the Power+Volume down buttons altogether and immediately connect the device to your computer
- Your device will automatically boot into EDL mode and the LED lights will blink
Use Deep Flash Cable
You can use a deep flash cable for this purpose. It is an online tool that you need to purchase, or you can manually build it as well. Even if your Qualcomm device bootloader gets locked, this tool will allow you to force your device to use the Qualcomm 9008 mode.
Use PCB Test Points
Test point is a location on electronic circuits that is used to monitor the condition of circuit test signals. These points are primarily used during manufacturing to verify if the recently assembled device works properly.
The location of test points on each device can vary depending on the PCB type. Most Qualcomm devices usually provide test points to force the device to enter EDL mode.
So, that’s it. Here we have mentioned everything that you need to know about the EDL mode of your Qualcomm Xiaomi smartphone to get out of a hard-bricked situation. We hope this article was helpful to you and you have successfully understood how to enter EDL mode on any Xiaomi smartphone with a Qualcomm chipset.
Experiencing difficulties with your Device, check out our “How To” page on how to resolve some of these issues.