There are many reasons when you may wish to close your laptop and use the monitor. Maybe there is a small space, and so on. So, here we will discuss how to close laptop and use monitor. Before we get started, there are a few things to remember.
First, you should connect your monitor to your laptop, keeping in mind that the two devices you own can be easily accessible to each other.
Second, you can no longer use your laptop trackpad or laptop keyboard because the lid will obviously be closed. So, you need to buy an external mouse and keyboard (wired or wireless, but wireless is more preferable).
Third, ensure your monitor is set up as your main display. Here is how to do that:
- Go to settings
- Go to the Display option
- Change the monitor/display to either duplicate these displays OR show only on 2
Duplicating the displays will show the same display and perform the same task on the laptop or monitor. And show only on 2, will black out your laptop screen, and show only on the monitor.
And lastly, you have to keep in mind where the sound will be coming from. Since the laptop will still work even though the lid will be closed, sound can still come out of it as laptops have better speakers, so we can use that or any other speakers you want.
So, now let’s start the process:
- Go to the Start Button
- Click on Control Panel
- Go to Hardware and Sounds
- Go to Power Options
- Click on “Choose what closing the lid does”
- In “when I close the lid” change the options to “do nothing
- Click on Save change.
How To Close Laptop And Use Monitor
- Go to the start button first
- Next, click on the Control Panel or you can search directly in the search box “Control Panel” and click on it.
- After that, go to the Hardware and Sound option there.
- Next, click the “Power Options” option.
- Next, on the left side, you will find an option “Choose what closing the lid does” and click on that option.
- After that, you will find “When I close the lid” option having two options one is “On Battery,” and the other is “Plugged in“. You can change the two options to “do nothing” and finally click on the “save change” option in the bottom right corner.
So, finally, you can use the monitor when your laptop is close / when your laptop lid is closed.
Remember, since the laptop will not go to sleep when the lid is closed, you must do that; otherwise, if your laptop is always on, the battery will drain much faster, and you always have to keep your laptop on charging. And you know well that if you frequently charge your laptop, the performance of the laptop may go down, or the battery may get damaged. So always remember to put your laptop to sleep or shut it down when you’re finish working.
Experiencing difficulties with your Device, check out our “How To” page on how to resolve some of these issues.